Ydalir, Elverum

Feasibility study of a public space in ZEN pilot project Ydalir. Illustration by tegn_3

Scope and time frame

The Ydalir project aims to develop a new neighbourhood with high energy and emission ambitions in the town of Elverum in Hedmark. The estimated timeframe for completion is 2030. 800 to 1 000 residential units are planned to be developed (approx. 100 000 m2). The residential units are planned as a combination of detached houses and apartment buildings, and are built around a school for approx. 300 students (approx. 5 000 m2) and a kindergarten with eight units (approx. 1 500 m2).

Location and involved stakeholders

The area is approx. 430 000 m2 and is located 1.5 km to the northeast of the city centre. It is currently in use as a gravel depot and this activity will continue in some areas until 2019, when all the buildings connected to the depot will be demolished. The site is surrounded by existing residential areas, small commercial sites, and park areas, and a ski jump.

The stakeholders involved are the project owner Elverum Tomteselskap, a semi-public organisation, which aims to enable population growth in Elverum, by developing land for housing and businesses at a reasonable price. 80% of the land in Ydalir is owned by this development agency. Two private landowners count for the remaining 20% of the area. Other stakeholders involved are Elverum municipality, seven local private developers, consultant agencies, a transportation agency (Hedmark Trafikk), an energy utility company that will deliver district heating and grid connection (EIDSIVA), and the waste management company SØIR IKS.

The pilot project’s mission and planned measures

The goal of the project is to plan and develop a major neighbourhood development in a new way, and to reduce the mobile and stationary energy demand and greenhouse gas emissions. Ydalir is also regarded as an environmental forerunner project for the city of Elverum.

Project goals will be achieved through the implementation of measures associated with five thematic areas:

  • A planning and design process that transfers the methodology of «Integrated (Energy) Design» from building to neighbourhood level. The masterplan for Ydalir is developed in cooperation with the involved stakeholders.
  • Minimising the demand for energy within the building stock and basing energy production on local sources (such as solar, groundwater, biofuels, district heating). Energy storage in batteries or within the bedrock is a possibility (not yet decided).
  • The building materials should have a long lifespan, include recirculated materials, and have a low carbon footprint. The preferred building materials are locally sourced wood or recycled materials. In general, the amount of building materials should be reduced and optimized.
  • The traffic infrastructure should enable and encourage residents to use public transport or individual transport by foot or bicycle. Investment in good public transport with 4 bus departures per hour, good walking and cycling paths, and a restricted car policy, with communal parking spaces some distance from the houses, making transport alternatives with low emissions more attractive.
  • The planning of a public space which supports an emission-friendly lifestyle

Contacts and references

References and further reading:
www.ydalirbydel.no
www.elverumvekst.no/elverumtomteselskap/tomteomrader/ydalir

Contacts:

Elverum Vekst:
Anna-Thekla Tonjer
anna-thekla.tonjer@elverumvekst.no
NTNU:
Inger Andresen, leder WP6 ZEN
inger.andersen@ntnu.no

OUR PARTNERS

The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) is the host and leads the Centre together with SINTEF Building and Infrastructure and SINTEF Energy.

Personnel at the ZEN Research Centre


Postal address:

The Research Centre on Zero Emission Buildings in Smart Cities (FME ZEN)

NTNU, Faculty of Architecture and Design
NO-7491 Trondheim


The ZEN Research Centre on social media

Follow us on Twitter

About the Centres for Environment-friendly Energy Research

The Centres for Environment-friendly Energy Research (FME) scheme develops expertise and promotes innovation by supporting long-term research on environment-friendly energy and carbon capture and storage in collaborations between leading research groups and users. The centres are selected via a detailed process administered by the Research Council of Norway.